There are four types of generators: diesel, petrol (gasoline), synchronous and asynchronous power generator. In this article, we will discuss diesel and petrol (gasoline) generators, their advantages and disadvantages.
At such capacities (up to 10 kW), as a rule, air-cooled motors are used in electrical units. They are much cheaper than liquid-cooled motors of the same volume and the same power.
- Significantly more expensive;
- It has large dimensions, is heavier, noisier than gasoline;
- Must have a more capacious starter battery;
- Starting a diesel engine with a manual starter requires a lot of effort;
- Requires the use of different seasonal grades of summer and winter diesel fuel, respectively;
- More expensive to maintain and repair (by about 15-20%);
- Accidentally spilled diesel fuel does not evaporate and forms permanent stains at the installation site of the generating set. Stains from clothes can sometimes be impossible to remove
Nevertheless, diesel has undeniable advantages over its gasoline counterpart
- Diesel fuel is difficult to ignite in the open air and is less dangerous than gasoline;
- Stable maintenance of the required speed;
- Responds better to a sharp load;
- Automation (automatic start when the mains voltage fails, automatic stop when it appears) of a diesel engine is simple and does not require expensive special devices;
- The diesel engine is not sensitive to high ambient humidity.
- The fuel efficiency of a diesel engine cannot be attributed to indisputable advantages, because. diesel fuel is more expensive, and the amount of fuel consumed during operation is not large
Things with a gasoline engine are exactly the opposite. It makes no sense to describe the same thing, only with the opposite sign.
The only thing we consider it necessary to dwell on in more detail is the phrase from the above paragraph – “Automation of a diesel engine is simple and does not require expensive special devices to provide remote start.” The fact is that all gasoline engines for this class of electrical units have carburetors. The carburetors, in turn, have a manually operated choke to ensure cold starting. This damper needs to be really CONTROLLED. The reader, who at one time had the Volga, Moskvich or Zhiguli, will not ask questions. For those readers who immediately got into an injection car and wonder why injection gasoline engines not made for electric units. The answer is simple: The cost of an injection fuel system is commensurate with the cost of the gasoline engine itself, along with a carburetor.
What else you need to know about petrol generators
Separately, it is necessary to dwell on the reliability of these types of motors when operating in conditions of negative temperatures. The international standard regulates the operation of household electrical units up to a temperature of -15C. This means the temperature of the engine itself before starting, and not the air it takes in for the combustion cycle of the fuel-air mixture in the cylinders. At lower temperatures, these generating sets should not be operated. Starting these motors is extremely difficult. In addition, breakage or unacceptable wear of the crank mechanism and the cylinder-piston group is possible. In the case of an automated generating set, unless special measures taken, a failed start-up of the generating set is the rule rather than the exception.
We will not consider the choice of a gasoline engine adapted to run on natural gas due to official difficulties: on the territory of the Republic of Belarus, such stations are not certified and require other documents from the installation organization for their connection to your “gas pipe”.
All generators that fulfill their purpose are good, whether diesel or gasoline, synchronous or asynchronous. All have their advantages and disadvantages. However, what is the most suitable for the user, he decides himself, taking into account more parameters that are relevant to him.
Sometimes the choice is determined not only by its type, but also by the availability of the product, the availability of the fuel that can be obtained, the price, and many other criteria. Despite all the pros and cons, all generators are good in their own way and all are suitable. Which one is best is decided by the customer himself.